Stress will continue to be a concern for many workers in 2018, and that’s a cause for concern for employers struggling with retention issues.
According to a recent survey, 71 percent of employees are so unhappy with their jobs that they are currently looking to change employers. The majority of respondents cite stress as a major factor and believe their jobs are having a significant impact on their mental health. A key solution to this is work flexibility, both for workers and for employers trying to retain employees.
Jobs that offer flexible work options are increasing and available in a wide variety of industries. To shine a light on the fastest-growing career fields, FlexJobs analyzed job listings from the past year to identify the top 10 career categories in which the number of flexible job listings has increased significantly – more than 20 percent. Accounting & Finance, Advertising & PR, and e-commerce are among these high growth fields, indicating they are likely to be strong job categories for flexible job seekers in 2018 as well.
The top 10 flexible career categories that have grown the most since January 1, 2017, plus common job titles within those categories, are:
- Editing: copywriter, editor, copy editor
- Writing: technical writer, resume writer, writer
- Data Entry: bookkeeper, data entry clerk, in-field quantitative market researcher
- Advertising & PR: event specialist sales, account executive, account representative
- Event Planning: event coordinator, event assistant, event planner
- News & Journalism: new editor, news writer, news producer
- Internet & e-commerce: social media coordinator, e-commerce manager, digital strategist
- Account Management: account manager, account executive, sales representative
- Computer & IT: IT project manager, systems engineer, business analyst
- Accounting & Finance: staff accountant, bookkeeper, accounting clerk
The career categories with the highest overall number of flexible jobs listings during 2017 are Medical & Health, Administrative, Customer Service, Sales, and Computer & IT. FlexJobs also recently determined the fastest-growing flexible jobs for 2018 and the Top 50 Companies Hiring for Flexible Jobs.